No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 2662
Hits New Yesterday: 19019

Server Time
19 January 2018 04:33:03 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Pre 1973 > Idler arm > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visit • View posts last 24 hours • View unanswered posts
Forum Index > Pre 1973

Idler arm Reply to topic

xpconnor
Mustang Maniac

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hey all

Been looking online but still can't find a clear answer. I have installed a new idler arm but I am not sure of which washer should go where when it bolts to the drag link.

At this stage the washer between the idler arm and the drag link is a soft foam washer which I can't see lasting long. I have two spare washers left over, not sure if they are required or not. Pictures below hopefully help explain it. Any advice on what goes where would be great.

"The Mustang is full of Awesome"

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Foam washer is in the correct spot & there should be a steel washer between the nut & the idler. The other is a spare as only one is required.

Kerry

It is easier to get older than it it is to get wiser

booah
Junior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

I think that because the idler arm ball joint is going to have a fixed position in the drag link it won't crush the foam down to zero. I believe the foam is just a dust seal and the two washers go onto the other end at the idler arm shaft, one top one bottom.

booah
Junior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

OK

xpconnor
Mustang Maniac

0 👍 / 0 👎

Thanks again guys. I will add a washer at the top and then just the caster bars and P/S stuff to install up front.

unilec5544
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Just looking at the Tie rod sleeve adjuster, you need to have one bolt facing in the opposite direction to the other one.

mert
Mustang Maniac

0 👍 / 0 👎

you need to have one bolt facing in the opposite direction to the other one.

Why? The bolt/nut applies compressive force to the clamp, it don't care which side the nut or bolt head is on... makes zero difference in how it works or how well it holds or the force applied.

If going for concours correct then RH/LH, factory, build date, etc [i/]may[/i] make a difference... most of the FAMs show them the same way in most drawings... but do not specify any mandated orientation for the bolts, but do imply identical orientation for both...

8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special

xpconnor
Mustang Maniac

0 👍 / 0 👎

mert wrote

Why? The bolt/nut applies compressive force to the clamp, it don't care which side the nut or bolt head is on... makes zero difference in how it works or how well it holds or the force applied.

If going for concours correct then RH/LH, factory, build date, etc [i/]may[/i] make a difference... most of the FAMs show them the same way in most drawings... but do not specify any mandated orientation for the bolts, but do imply identical orientation for both...

Interesting you should say that. I thought I read on the other forum that one guy got knocked back for rego because either one of the bolts was on the wrong angle or one was facing the wrong way. Can't remember the specifics now. Anyway I am going off this picture in mustang monthly which has both bolts the same way but on one tie rod they are on a 35 degree angle. I would just show that to people at the rego office too if they have a problem. Not really a big deal yet anyway as everything is still just loosely bolted up until I get the engine in the car and more weight over the front end.

www.mustangandfords.co...allery/#24
Not sure if the link will work properly but pic 24 is the one I am talking about.

unilec5544
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

xpconnor wrote
mert wrote

Interesting you should say that. I thought I read on the other forum that one guy got knocked back for rego because either one of the bolts was on the wrong angle or one was facing the wrong way. Can't remember the specifics now. Anyway I am going off this picture in mustang monthly which has both bolts the same way but on one tie rod they are on a 35 degree angle. I would just show that to people at the rego office too if they have a problem. Not really a big deal yet anyway as everything is still just loosely bolted up until I get the engine in the car and more weight over the front end.

Not sure if the link will work properly but pic 24 is the one I am talking about.

I know of a couple of people here in Perth that have been knocked back because of this issue, whether it has something to do with the left and right hand threads, not sure, but I will be doing as you say and taking my service manual with me.

xpconnor
Mustang Maniac

0 👍 / 0 👎

unilec5544 wrote
xpconnor wrote
mert wrote

I know of a couple of people here in Perth that have been knocked back because of this issue, whether it has something to do with the left and right hand threads, not sure, but I will be doing as you say and taking my service manual with me.

Probably just as easy to put the bolts in in opposite directions and have one less argument with a rego nazi. I know my old falcon had both bolts facing the same way though as did the mustang when I was taking it apart. It is situations like this though that make me think of the saying below

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

It is a clamp, so does not matter which way the bolt is facing or where the clamp is situated. That threaded tube is split, so the clamping force prevents it from winding undone.

Think about this, say one of the clamps is loose & one end of the tie rod can move, the movement will be total movement of the ball joints on both ends, it can go no further let alone come off.

Also you have to move the clamp at times as the bolt can hit other parts of suspension or steering, so they are usually never found to be lining up with the split.

Kerry

It is easier to get older than it it is to get wiser

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Agree with Kerry as usual. In fact the only time those bolts have been mentioned in all of the pit inspections I have presented was when one of the bolts looked as though it could interfere with something.

All times are Australia/Sydney

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   Shaunp 

66STNG 

unilec5544 

boofhead 

LatestForumPosts
Last 10 Forum Messages

66 roof bows
Last post by unilec5544 in General Tech Advice on Jan 18, 2018 20:40:04

Merts deceased estate sale