No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 2625
Hits New Yesterday: 20250

Server Time
17 January 2018 02:54:54 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Pre 1973 > Converting back up light socket to suit 1157 bulb > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visit β€’ View posts last 24 hours β€’ View unanswered posts
Forum Index > Pre 1973

Converting back up light socket to suit 1157 bulb Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2
GRIFF
Junior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

ozbilt wrote
Knock the pressed in socket off the back of the lamp & use a clip in one that suits the twin filament bulb. You may have to enlarge the hole.

The one in the lamp at present is parallel pin, the 1157 is a staggered pin.

You will need an extra wire each side running directly from the brake switch.

exactly what i did. narva #49838 is a 1157 wired socket with spring clips, i just tagged it with a bit of solder where it joins on the back for good earth continuity.

Here's one for you Hendrix fans, "Little Wing" by one of my bands MATT ROBERTS TRIO live at The Boatshed in Sydney.
We always try and give this song the respect it deserves and Matt rips up the solo's. enjoy!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGpGaUPWJLY

StephenSLR
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Cheers for the help guys.

The Narva one looks good.

www.sparespro.com.au/n...5d-globe-h

ozbilt wrote

How would I wire this up, cut/remove existing blinker wire from brake bucket and splice in an extension down to one of the wires in new socket?

I notice there are only 2 wires from the rear of the Narva. I imagine the shell acts as earth rather than having a third wire?

Correct?

s

Listen to my band here: www.reverbnation.com/LYCANTHIA

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

StephenSLR wrote
Cheers for the help guys.

The Narva one looks good.

www.sparespro.com.au/n...5d-globe-h

ozbilt wrote

How would I wire this up, cut/remove existing blinker wire from brake bucket and splice in an extension down to one of the wires in new socket?

I notice there are only 2 wires from the rear of the Narva. I imagine the shell acts as earth rather than having a third wire?

Correct?

s

You will find the brake wires go from the brake switch to the column. Then they get added to the flasher system in a convoluted way.

The brake switch is the spot to sever the connection & run a wire to the brake lights direct. The existing brake light wires at the rear then become the left & right flasher wires. My reply earlier was incorrect as it reads ass about.

Someone here should be able to draw you a mudmap. I cannot as I am not at home.

Kerry

It is easier to get older than it it is to get wiser

StephenSLR
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

ozbilt wrote
The brake switch is the spot to sever the connection & run a wire to the brake lights direct.

Wouldn't I also need to run another wire for parking/tail lights as well?

I may have to leave that to an auto-electrician.

I've found a diagram.

averagejoerestoration..../1965e.jpg

s

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

At the back of the car swap your brake/indicator wires with your reverse lights, no need for any other wires, you now swap to 2 switches over in the circuits under the dash so that the old rev lights circuit now become the the brake lights, and the and the old brake light circuit becomes the reverse/indicators. Did Ralph's car a couple of weeks ago, but I was also making the harness RHD at the same time so I had it all untaped.

StephenSLR
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Shaunp wrote
Did Ralph's car a couple of weeks ago

Did he also install switchback LED's so the backup lights are both reverse and blinker in white and amber respectively?

Just wondering if there's more to it.

s

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

No they will just use the same bulb, either amber bulb or I'll get some Amber lenses and use a clear bulb. from Mustang Auto parts, Australian cars had amber reverse lights back in the day. You only have 1 wire you cant have 2 colours.

StephenSLR
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Shaunp wrote
Australian cars had amber reverse lights back in the day.

As my Torana does today.

Shaunp wrote
You only have 1 wire you cant have 2 colours.

Hence why I want to put in an 1157 socket; I'd like to install switchback LED's into the reverse light buckets.

Wink2

s

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

I cant be bothered really, I dont see the point we have survived with normal bulbs for years, If you wanted to use the colored LEDs you'd need to modify the circuit & run an extra wire front to back, It doesn't make them any faster or handle better, dont see the point.

GRIFF
Junior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

stephen i ran a new dedicated brake light wire in conjunction with the wiring mod shaun suggested. fitted the switchbacks and have super bright white reverse lamps plus amber indicator.
shaun i know you dont see the point, however, its a mod that has a better degree of safety imo. case in point, i was stopped and indicating rainy late night on quiet coast road sth of sydney. old 4wd coming up behind me didnt notice my vaguely brighter RH brake lamp flashing. he panicked last moment locked up and grazed my bumper with his rear tyre. ok it was his fault but we wouldve been royally fucked if he rear ended us at 70kph. i wasnt prepared to roll that dice again hence the indicator color change.
either way, a rear light just doesnt have to function, it has to be distracting enough to those behind us to engage a reaction.
gg

Here's one for you Hendrix fans, "Little Wing" by one of my bands MATT ROBERTS TRIO live at The Boatshed in Sydney.
We always try and give this song the respect it deserves and Matt rips up the solo's. enjoy!

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

GRIFF wrote
stephen i ran a new dedicated brake light wire in conjunction with the wiring mod shaun suggested. fitted the switchbacks and have super bright white reverse lamps plus amber indicator.
shaun i know you dont see the point, however, its a mod that has a better degree of safety imo. case in point, i was stopped and indicating rainy late night on quiet coast road sth of sydney. old 4wd coming up behind me didnt notice my vaguely brighter RH brake lamp flashing. he panicked last moment locked up and grazed my bumper with his rear tyre. ok it was his fault but we wouldve been royally fucked if he rear ended us at 70kph. i wasnt prepared to roll that dice again hence the indicator color change.
either way, a rear light just doesnt have to function, it has to be distracting enough to those behind us to engage a reaction.
gg

Yeah mate I know, I really just cant be bothered to muck around with it, I just swap the indicators to the rev lights with amber lenses, and be done with it, at least then you have amber blinkers, not to be confused with blinking stop lights . I've got enough stuff to do, I may do it 2 colour led thing one day though, but I reckon the snoozers will crash into you regardless, they do it every day to brand new cars. World is full of snoozers that's the issue.

StephenSLR
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Shaunp wrote
I reckon the snoozers will crash into you regardless, they do it every day to brand new cars. World is full of snoozers that's the issue.

Absolutely! Rear enders are the most common accident and the snoozers & texters crash into people with Aus. blinkers, stopped at lights, etc.

I hear that the latest RTA rules state that we should have amber blinkers or brake lights that don't switch off when blinking; I know there is debate regarding this and they may never actually enforce it but I'm just preparing for it in case it ever comes to fruition; I'm in no rush.

I'd like to have the original look with red brake lights & clear lenses so switchbacks would be the best option imo.

s

GRIFF
Junior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

StephenSLR wrote
Shaunp wrote
I reckon the snoozers will crash into you regardless, they do it every day to brand new cars. World is full of snoozers that's the issue.

Absolutely! Rear enders are the most common accident and the snoozers & texters crash into people with Aus. blinkers, stopped at lights, etc.

I hear that the latest RTA rules state that we should have amber blinkers or brake lights that don't switch off when blinking; I know there is debate regarding this and they may never actually enforce it but I'm just preparing for it in case it ever comes to fruition; I'm in no rush.

I'd like to have the original look with red brake lights & clear lenses so switchbacks would be the best option imo.

s

yes of course they will. however, to me it has been all the more obvious driving behind some 65/66 stangs how f'n lame their park/brake/indicators are when youre on a club run. the fact that when the park light is on with a slightly brighter flashing brake light ind makes me wonder how anybody really notices it. Just simply saying they should be paying attention isnt the solution to a generation of drivers since the 70's who dont even know about our classic cars with old school dull red indicators. We are all guilty of inattentiveness but my point remains that if a brake light or indicator doesnt distract the person behind i may be modelling a neck brace!
i love the stock look, but if you drive your muzzy in weekend sydney traffic as much as i do just watch your rear view mirror for the late reactions when you indicate brake and turn. oh its fun....

StephenSLR
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

GRIFF wrote
Just simply saying they should be paying attention isnt the solution to a generation of drivers since the 70's who don't even know about our classic cars with old school dull red indicators.

^ I really don't buy that excuse. They crash because they are poor drivers/not paying attention and would've still crashed into you if you were driving an Aus. car. with amber blinkers.

Think about it, when you indicate you either:

1. put on the brakes to slow down and then indicate to turn.

2. are sitting stationary with brake lights on while indicating.

The person that crashes into you is obviously not paying attention; even if you are in an Aus. car.

Let's look at point 1. This person crashed into you because you put on the brakes to slow down; regardless of whether you were going to turn or simply braking and driving in a straight line.

Point 2. A person is crashing into a stationary vehicle is obviously non compos mentis.

Rear enders occur every day regardless of car model. There's too many stupid people on the road.

Brighter brake lights is definitely beneficial, amber blinkers; not so much.

GRIFF wrote
my point remains that if a brake light or indicator doesn't distract the person behind i may be modelling a neck brace!

This is why I'm considering getting headrests; you may as well be prepared.

If one of these morons is behind you, you're going to get hit anyway, it happens every day on our roads.

s

Last edited by StephenSLR on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

hybrid
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Geez, you blokes are a bit morbid Poke

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   Husky65