No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 15825
Hits New Yesterday: 16162

Server Time
23 January 2018 22:55:28 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Pre 1973 > rust and how much is to much > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visitView posts last 24 hoursView unanswered posts
Forum Index > Pre 1973

rust and how much is to much Reply to topic

Go to page 1, 2 Next
eaturbo_39
Junior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Ok guys I need some help I have a 68 fastback deluxe im restoring but it has rust issues ehat I want to know is how far do I go in repairing it here is the list of rusted parts. All frame rails. Floor pans. Fire wall. Rad support. Both front aprons. Upper and lower cowls the roof has pinholes. Both rear quarters. Tail light panel. Rh tail light panel between the tail light panel and rear quarter. Both wheel wells. And the worst part I took the door seal chrome piece off and upto the roof from the a pillars are rusted out and above the b pillar im guessing is the supports are rusted too how far do I go or do I just get another shell very annoyed every time I look at it its got more

eaturbo_39
Junior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Both rocker panels are rusted too

soc123_au
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

It would be repairable, but you will need deep pockets. Sounds like a candidate for a coupe bottom half. Have a look in my photobucket link and see the album "chop"

Album Link Below.

s608.photobucket.com/p...s_Prestige

rockerfella
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Well I'm not the resident expert by any means, but that sounds like a lot of rust. Depends who you ask, but I would think most people on here are of the 'do it once, do it right' persuasion - you save yourself money down the track by addressing everything from the get go, but if money doesn't allow, maybe some parts are salvage-able?

I'd take it to a decent panel beater and get an estimate of how much you'd be looking at to get it all repaired, and then weigh that against what you've spent so far and what it would cost you to get a better starting point. My condolences though, a lot of guys on here have experienced similar.

rockerfella
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

soc123_au wrote
It would be repairable, but you will need deep pockets. Sounds like a candidate for a coupe bottom half. Have a look in my photobucket link and see the album "chop"

Or just listen to him Like

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Is this your car as well?

www.mustangtech.com.au...=4091.html

www.mustangtech.com.au...rt=15.html

eaturbo_39 wrote
My floor and fire wall have just been fitted at the shop so all i need is the front now

If it is the same car & the shop has fitted the floor & firewall as you state, without checking the rest of the car, then get it out of there pronto.

I would need pictures at least of all the rust found before commenting on how to go about fixing it (or if even realistic) as you have said it is in the pillars & roof which would cut the coupe bottom half out of the equation.

Kerry

It is easier to get older than it it is to get wiser

mert
Mustang Maniac

0 👍 / 0 👎

A shorter list might be what would be left... does not sound like much.

Dynacorn shell and weld in a few 100mm square patches of original metal might be cheaper??? Wink2

8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special

eaturbo_39
Junior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

ozbilt wrote

eaturbo_39 wrote
My floor and fire wall have just been fitted at the shop so all i need is the front now

If it is the same car & the shop has fitted the floor & firewall as you state, without checking the rest of the car, then get it out of there pronto.

I would need pictures at least of all the rust found before commenting on how to go about fixing it (or if even realistic) as you have said it is in the pillars & roof which would cut the coupe bottom half out of the equation.

mate mine is the red one in that post with all the rust I have found more then those pics and so far all I have done is stripped it down had it blasted and revealed a whole lot more

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

eaturbo_39 wrote
ozbilt wrote

eaturbo_39 wrote

mate mine is the red one in that post with all the rust I have found more then those pics and so far all I have done is stripped it down had it blasted and revealed a whole lot more

Post some pics of the areas you describe (or send them to my email) & I can at least give you a plan or some options.

Kerry

69candy
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Mine was bad, but probably not as bad as yours. If you are going to pay somebody to do it, you might be better of getting another body. $60.00 odd dollars an hour does not go far!!! I did 90% of my own with help from a retired panel beater. Saved a heap. Work out how much in replacement parts for the bad stuff, as sometimes it is cheaper to replace than repair

eaturbo_39
Junior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

I have got the floor pans the rocker panels new front aprons new frame rails new fire wall so far but that was what I could see before I had it blasted since I found the rear quarters and tail light panel the beaver panel and the inner supports in the roof to a and b pillars

eaturbo_39
Junior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

I built a jig for it off one of the forums and it bolted straight up I have cut the front aprons and fir wall and floor out all ready do just not sure how far I should go and the cowl is rusted out too

eaturbo_39
Junior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

go down the page and see the red one thats mine ill get some more and send them to you ozbilt

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

I will need pics of the roof & pillar damage. The rest can be fixed by a good coupe donor IF the roof etc is repairable.

Kerry

eaturbo_39
Junior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Is there any major differences between the 67 and 68 I just found a really good shell and cheap but its a 67

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page 1, 2 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   boofhead 

hybrid 

Husky65 

Roger 

LatestForumPosts
Last 10 Forum Messages

67 FG Resto Mod
Last post by Roger in Mustang Projects on Jan 23, 2018 19:01:04