No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 4414
Hits New Yesterday: 14808

Server Time
22 January 2018 07:40:44 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Pre 1973 > AOD Conversion > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visit β€’ View posts last 24 hours β€’ View unanswered posts
Forum Index > Pre 1973

AOD Conversion Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2
boofhead
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Shaunp wrote
Nuts wrote
Anyone who has not driven a car with and AOD fitted is in for a surprise. It's a great transmission and 1,2,3,shifts are smooth as silk. However, the overdrive on the AOD tends to have a mind of it's own and takes some getting used to. The upshift is generally fine but can be way to early at light throttle. The downshift can be slow and often you can count to three before it kicks back a gear. I'm happy with mine I run 3.25 gears and at 110ks the engine is turning at around 2k.

The AODE on the other hand has an electronic control making the overdrive up and downshift a lot smoother. Have a drive of a 94-98 mustang if considering an AODE as they are as smooth as the ford Aust BTR 4 speed.

Has anyone fitted a BTR to a mustang and used an aftermarket controller??

The early ones from say an an NC fairlane have a sperate controler, they just need power and a throttle postion switch on the carb

I started looking into modifying the Megashifter (Megasquirt project) for the BTR though decided not to go there - not to hard to do from the information I had gathered. My test car is running a MSII CPU controller and using the separate NC auto controller. The owner is happy enough with it so no need to proceed further with my ideas.

I will someday think of something clever to say.

OzStang390
Junior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

soc123_au wrote
Hadnt seen this thread before, Ozstang I have an AOD behind my FE. I got the adaptor from PATC in the US. Good kit & comes with everything needed.

Awesome!! so... how do you like the AOD behind the FE and what shifter did you use?

When the transmission mob fitted the AOD behind the 351c in my XD they said the only shifter they could get to fit/work was the B&M MegaShifter.

Also do you have a link for PATC?

Cheers,
Glenn

My project is a 1-of-1 1967 Mustang Hardtop, Beige Mist Paint, Black Trim, 390-4V Engine, C-6 Select-Shift Cruise-O-Matic, 3:1 9" Diff, Power Disc Brakes, Power Steering, 7.35X14-4 Ply Rated Tires, White Rayon Sidewall Tires, Exterior Decor Group, Interior Decor Group, Tinted Glass, Selectaire - Air Conditioner, Black Décor Bucket Seats, Centre Console, Roof Console, AM Radio, Hinged Gas Cap and a warped nut that holds the steering wheel!!
My wife's project is: ME!!

Stallion67
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Also got the conversion kit from PATC but they didnt include a neutral safety switch. Now I will have to source one of these locally.. Were there any australian fords fitted with an AOD? I didnt think there were, but maybe a wrecker with an 80s bronco or f-series might have some AOD parts.

Another drama we have come across is that the AOD being considerably larger than the C4 and my pacemaker extractors are touching the tranny sump. Can you bend the extractors or do you have to heat them first? Dont want to crack any welds on them.

Cheers, Tony.

Nuts
Mustang King

Location: Can someone send me some of that "Clean" coal for my furnace. My wood has frozen..

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

The neutral safety/reversing light switch is a 4 pin switch available from most US parts stores at around $50US. They are widely used in US Ford boxes unfortunately, i've not seen them on an Aussie car. The part number you need is D6RY-7A247-B MOTORCRAFT SW-1391. Hope this helps.

Darryl

My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic

Stallion67
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Thanks nuts.

There are a couple on ebay but they say they dont ship to Australia (i have asked the question anyway..)

Rang coventrys and they say they have one for a c6. Did a bit more research and some people say they are the same on AOD and c3. Is this correct? I think coventrys had one for a c3..

Cheers

Cheers, Tony.

hybrid
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

AOD Switch and pigtail available on this page:

www.transmissioncenter.net/aod.htm

I got most of my AOD rebuild parts from these guys.
The page is messy... too much on a single page, so open the page and do a text search for "AODPT".

Nuts
Mustang King

Location: Can someone send me some of that "Clean" coal for my furnace. My wood has frozen..

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Stallion67 wrote
Thanks nuts.

There are a couple on ebay but they say they dont ship to Australia (i have asked the question anyway..)

Rang coventrys and they say they have one for a c6. Did a bit more research and some people say they are the same on AOD and c3. Is this correct? I think coventrys had one for a c3..

Cheers

C6 switch is like a C4. nothing like the AOD one. The pigtail (Connector Plug) is unique also, so i'd look for both as Hybrid suggests.

My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic

gbx78
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

I got most of my later model plugs etc for my 5.0 with aod from these guys. You could try them failing the already mentioned. They do paypal and fast reasonable shipping.

EDIT: whoops the link might help:

www.mustang-village.com/

Stallion67
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Yeah as it turns out the switch was with the transmission and what i really needed was the harness. There are a few places you can get these for $40-$50. To be honest im not really happy with the PATC kit because they didnt include longer bellhousing bolts and i had to source these from LT venables. Also didnt give me the neutral switch harness, the tailshaft is too long and need to either shorten it or get a different yoke. Both these items are on their site as "optional" to the kit. Not sure how they can say they are optional when i told them my exact model, engine, trans etc i was converting to AOD. Then to top it all off they didnt include a new shifter linkage to connect my standard 67 console shifter to the AOD. When a kit is advertised as everything you need to convert C4 to AOD it really should include EVERYTHING!!

Cheers, Tony.

Stallion67
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

So after many trials and tribulations the AOD conversion is finally done! Ended up getting a 2" shorter yoke from summit, along with a brand new floor shifter (old one was rusted out) and a shifter linkage. After my brother and i played around with the tuning of the TV cable and drove the car around the block a few times we believe we have the setting as good as its gonna get.

Next step is to take the diff to a driveline shop (can anyone recommend a good one?) and get the richmond 3.80 ring and pinion set put in to replace the current 2.79 ratio. Worked out last night that when the AOD shifts into 4th @ 45mph the engine is spinning @ 1100rpm! Bit low for my liking and makes for strange shift patterns. All in all though I am very happy with the AOD, once tuned it shifts smoother and kicks down more reliably than the C4 did..

Cheers, Tony.

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   Nuts 

hybrid 

Husky65 

Ausjacko 

Dwayne 

Roger 

LatestForumPosts