No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 2100
Hits New Yesterday: 20250

Server Time
17 January 2018 02:21:10 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > Project Lime A code. > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visitView posts last 24 hoursView unanswered posts
Forum Index > Mustang Projects

Project Lime A code. Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 36, 7, 829, 30, 31 Next
Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Yeah if you use POR metal ready correctly, it leaves a zinc phosphate coating that holds them for a while. I spray it on scrub it with a scotch brite, wipe it of with water then dry it with a cloth, turns it blue, won't last forever but holds it from rusting for a bit. This panel had some surface rust on it, because the car has never been repainted, it has started to surface rust in places, factory paint is very thin.

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

OK, thanks for that.
cheers

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Unusual to see a 67 door in such great condition. Make sure, that after painting, you get a lot of body wax in the front lower corner behind the reinforcement. That is where there will be some rust happening & the wax will encapsulate it.

Worth make a great body wax that is in a spray can & has a straw attachment that can get it in there for you.

Kerry

It is easier to get older than it it is to get wiser

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

ozbilt wrote
Unusual to see a 67 door in such great condition. Make sure, that after painting, you get a lot of body wax in the front lower corner behind the reinforcement. That is where there will be some rust happening & the wax will encapsulate it.

Worth make a great body wax that is in a spray can & has a straw attachment that can get it in there for you.

Yes it is good stuff, sticky as.

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

ozbilt wrote

Kerry most of the car is about that standard, gutters aside, It probably would have been a good car to restore to original, no one has ever touched it really, good Cali A code coupe with lotts options. But i don't want a totally original car.
LH front gaurd has some bog at the front rear of the extension, Think I'll have to unpick the front bit so I can get in to repair it, I'll try weld on stud dent puller first.
Think I have 4L of Valvoline Tectyle here, and i've got gun with a hose on it, I give the Disco a hit every few years to save it from the beach driving. I may flood the car with that Isotrol rustelack, think that's what its called, first to seal any rust then wax it.

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Done a bit more, skimmed & etched up the LH door, rebuilt the hinges, swung it, still needs a tweak to get the gaps correct. I think it is back where it was when it left San Jose but I can get it a bit better.

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

When fitting the door Shaun, have the back of the door about 2 - 3 mm higher without the glass etc in there. When you completely fit up the door you will find it will sit level.

Kerry

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Thanks Kerry I'll have to tilt it up then? Not lift the whole door , so it drops on the hinges a bit? just been working on it and have it about as good as it getts in the back edge gap, and style lines, had to twist it out at the bottom 1/2 a touch at the 1/4, just flexed it on a rubbing block, a few times and it came straight out. Also had to smack the top edge down a bit to meet the top edge of the 1/4.

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hi Shaunp
I had to lift one of my doors after the regulator, glass etc. was installed as it had settled. Kerry's tip is, as usual, a beauty.

'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Yeah all the stuff almost doubles the wieght I reckon, they are bloody heavy when all together that's for sure.

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Shaunp wrote
Thanks Kerry I'll have to tilt it up then? Not lift the whole door , so it drops on the hinges a bit?

Exactly.

Once you have the door with great gaps & sitting where you want it (when assembled) loosen the top hinge to the pillar & have someone hold the door up a tad, then tighten.

Adjust the striker up for the moment so it will still close nice. Once assembled, after paint, you then move the striker down a touch & you will find the door will close like it should & gaps will be perfect.

Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Ausjacko wrote
Hi Shaunp
I had to lift one of my doors after the regulator, glass etc. was installed as it had settled.

When I set that car up, I did it to that method. So can only assume the doors were taken off after I had it.

Kerry

Last edited by ozbilt on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

I'll leave it for the moment Kerry, I'm working my way around the car, getting it all good, a panel at a time, so front LH guard is next. Once its all good, I intend to paint the underside and put it back on it's wheels, I'll do the final gaps then and lift the doors a touch. Really only fixing shopping dents that were just dent pulled and or wiped over in the 70's-80s, not much really. It will not take much work.

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Yes, the time to lift the doors is just before paint.

I have the cars painted the same way Ford did.

Doors, trunk & rear lower valance all on & in place. Quarter extensions spaced off by 5mm (with washers or a nut) to the quarter panels.

All other panels painted separate.

Kerry

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

I was thinking of doing it that way, though I may do the jambs around the front of the doors, back of the guards then put the guards on etc, haven't decided yet.

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 36, 7, 829, 30, 31 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   Husky65 

ozbilt 

Ausjacko 

hybrid 

Nuts 

Dwayne 

LatestForumPosts
Last 10 Forum Messages