Today I flipped the car over for the first time so I could look at the underneath.
I've now coated the bottom in some brush on tar sealer so the new floors look a bit neater.
I also started to fit one of the torque boxes. It needs a bit more fiddling with, but didn't want to annoy the neighbours with my tools at night.
I bought two 6m lengths (supply and return) of aluminium fuel line and will run those next weekend while I have the car upside down. Will probably also do the brake lines while its on the rotisserie.
Got the torque boxes done today.
They have been POR-15'd inside and out. I'll re-do the welded bits before it goes back the right way up. During the week I will buy some P Clips so I can do the fuel and brakes lines next weekend.
Picked up my $180 seats tonight. They are not perfect, but should be great once I have them trimmed to suit the rest of the interior. Not sure what I will do with the mounts yet. After a quick look, I'm thinking I'll cut the original mounts off the rails and weld plates in to suit the original mustang mounts.
One of the seats is electric, so I also need to check if the motorised part can be moved to the other seat.
Also my bonnet scoop and side scoops arrived.
To anyone who has fitted these before - is it normal that they don't fully cover the cutout in the guard? I only attached this one quickly, but it seems to want to sit inside the mould in the guard as per the next pics.
Is this normal, and we just bog the seams?
Got my radiator today. It looks pretty good, but looks like they have sprayed some parts with silver paint for some reason. Maybe it was discoloured. Also, the welds are not superb, but as long as it doesn't leak I'm happy.
Fitted the radiator in today. I cut the top of the radiator support so it would fit as far forward as possible.
Afterwards I wasted an hour standing there looking at it for two reasons.
Firstly I wondered how you will ever fill the radiator up fully with the filler being recessed like it is.
Secondly, I'm trying to work out a way to get some strength back into the radiator support. I think I'm going to weld some plate to the sides of the bonnet latch support that will run along the front of the radiator support, and then bolt through the radiator support.
It's either that, or I re-make the radiator support to go over the top of the radiator again, but I'm not sure how much room I have under the bonnet. It's only the top corners that really stick up above the original, so I might just be able to make a new top for the radiator support.
I'm also going to make a fan shroud from plate aluminium rather than bolting the fans straight to the radiator.
Getting back to the filling issue... I came to the conclusion that although the filler neck is recessed, the cap seal still sits high enough that the radiator should get a complete fill.
(pics tomorrow.. have to go get ready to hit the town!)
I found some left over galvanised angle from when I fixed the top of the firewall, so just decided to give that a go instead of re-doing the whole lot considering it was at hand.
It's getting a bit late (ok only 6pm) and don't want to annoy the neighbours, so I'll clean up all the welds and cuts tomorrow. Hopefully it will look ok once its all cleaned up.
Did some dynamat work today. Don't believe anyone that tells you that the 36sqft pack is enough "for the whole car".
36sqft did about 3/4 of my floor. I still need to do the roof, the trunk, under the bonnet, and the doors.
Also painted up the top suspension arms with charcoal hammer finish paint. Comes up pretty good with this stuff, so I'll probably do some other bits with it too.
Finally got the final piece of sheet metal - the L/H front guard.
Trial fitted it today... all good except my camera lense is obviously freaking filthy.
Also cleaned up the diff and painted it. After it is installed I will probably end up taking the centre out to change the open centre.
Fitted the fuel tank and turned the fuel pump around so it actually faces the incoming fuel lines now.
Next I will hopefully get the suspension sorted so I can get the car off the rotisserie and start getting into prepping the bodywork.
Didn't get the suspension parts I was hoping for this weekend, so will have to find other things to do.
I fitted the thermo fans and shroud today. Came up pretty good. Hopefully I have enough room in front of the engine.
The logos and trademarks used on this site are the property of their respective owners.
We are not responsible for comments, advice, opinions, products or services posted by our members, as they are the property of the poster.