Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 11675
Hits New Yesterday: 17268

Server Time
17 December 2017 17:15:11 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > Project Brandy > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visitView posts last 24 hoursView unanswered posts
Forum Index > Mustang Projects

Project Brandy Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 390, 91, 92230, 231, 232 Next
gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

you probably know this but ill mention it anyway, make sure you keep any exposed bits clean from debris and also when not in use cover it to protect it from crap.. i get alot of leaves and crap somehow creeping into my garage and also falling crap from above the garage ceiling .. so i always have it covered and sealed well .. i also put the manifold back on top and let it sit there..

well done!! .. exciting stuff!! looks similar to mine.. what is it that concerns you .. perhaps the pros can spot it from the pics.

re: rockers perhaps choose something that is tall so if later down the track you work the motor it will fit the goodies under.. that way you spend once.

'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead

cage
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Nothing major George just i need to get it all cleaned up and painted in a day (time and space restraints). Steve has given me a good run down on what I need to do so I will just get into it and try to get it done. Like

boofhead
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

First thing well done. I am sure it feels good to get moving with it.
Second thing (and my only concern) you need to clean out the rubbish in the lifter gallery. Leaves and junk and dust and dirt is all in there. No doubt it has appeared in the sump as well so a good flushing would be wise.
Third thing clean the gasket surfaces. I use a scrapper with a razor blade. Try not to damage the surface. A little staining from previous gaskets is not an issue. Then when you have ask must off as possible use brake cleaner to get the surface nice and clean.
Fourth, empty the sump from the old oil - it looks rather thick. I would get a driver for the oil pump (so take the TFI distributor out). Change the oil filter and fill the sump (with at least 1 ltr of Turpentine [maybe more]) and driver the pump. This will flush the oil passages and clean out of old thick oil. Use a brush on inside the lifter gallery to help get ride of the old rubbish. Once you can see it go though the system for a while then it drain for a some time and then empty the sump once again. Change the oil filter to another new one, put in fresh oil (10W 40?) and run the pump again to get it though the system. Now the oil system is considerably cleaner. You can use Turpentine to remove of a lot of the oil on the outside of the engine as a part of paint prep. You might want to spay a little WD40 into the cylinders through the spark plug holes just to make sure she can turn over nicely.
Next, get a wire brush and go over the outside of the engine to clean off the rust. You want a nice surface on which to paint it. Tape off areas you do not want to point then use some soapy water to clean the outside of the engine. If you wish degreaser first. Let it dry (use an air hose if you have one). Then paint the engine your chosen color (Holden Red? - Laughing ).
Final step - Remove the masking tape and paper - use brake cleaner on intake gasket surfaces to make sure they are clean. Get some Gasket silicon put a very thin layer around the opening, both air, oil and water and the intake gaskets. Have some bolt studs in place and place the gaskets on (the correct way around). The studs will hold them. The run a thick bead of silicon along the front and rear intake surfaces running just onto the intakes gaskets then slowly drop the intake manifold in place using the studs (several of them) to keep it aligned correctly and reducing lateral movement to stop the gaskets from moving. Get your intake bolts and put them in (replace the studs last).Then do them up in the correct order (see your manual) in three steps.
Then you can install the carb, get the water sender units etc all sorted, linkages etc (or leave them) and change the rocker covers for the bling. New paint and bling rocker covers and she will look great and be ready to rumble.

I will someday think of something clever to say.

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

dammit good advice and something i wondered and didnt do, cause didnt know how to and i forgot .. flushing the old oil out of existing channels!!!

'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead

cage
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Jesus, boofhead that is what I call detailed. I will be in contact to clarify a few things but I will get started on it. Thanks very much mate.

"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Cage do you have an engine stand? if not go buy one they are cheap as, I'got about 3 of them. Put it on that, makes it much easier, you can also then turn it upside down, which is how I'd clean the valley. I'd back off the inlet rockers to close the valves and, blow the ports out with air, then clean up the valley, this way less chance of getting more crap in it. Consider droping the sump and give it a wash out. You can flush them with diesel as well, it also makes a good degreaser. Diesel is just light oil, you can actually idle an engine on diesel. If you have it up side down I'd blow it off and hose the valley with diesel.

cage
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Shaun, I do have an engine stand which has my 221 for the XP on it. It is just the block so I will take that off and get this one on there. I just have to get it home now and off the truck. I don't have a crane so maybe i will need to buy one of them also, or maybe rent one.

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

cage wrote
Shaun, I do have an engine stand which has my 221 for the XP on it. It is just the block so I will take that off and get this one on there. I just have to get it home now and off the truck. I don't have a crane so maybe i will need to buy one of them also, or maybe rent one.

if you mean an engine hoist.. i have one you can borrow once i dont need it anymore .. ie my engine is in the engine bay .. lol but i think we are putting ours in at the same time? so you might need it before hand

cage
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

OK yes engine hoist. Sorry expert Poke

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

cage wrote
OK yes engine hoist. Sorry expert Poke

lolol no no i didnt mean it like that . thats what i call it so was just clarifying if thats what you meant ..its called a few things ..

depending when you need it and if im not using it then you are welcome to borrow it

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

cage wrote

Come over & borrow my engine lift. You can pick up the trans cross member while you are here ..... Poke

Kerry

It is easier to get older than it it is to get wiser

cage
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Thanks Oz.

All good George.

67fastysm
Senior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

wow cage you are turning into a real grease monkey , just keep collecting those toys for the shed
cheer shane

Age is a high price for maturity

cage
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Nothing to add, just getting jealous of all the progress with everyone's cars. 😢

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

cage wrote
Nothing to add, just getting jealous of all the progress with everyone's cars. 😢

chop chop then!

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 390, 91, 92230, 231, 232 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   rkmiller73 

66STNG 

Husky65 

Nuts 

cage 

StephenSLR 

ComingEvents