No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 332
Hits New Yesterday: 18796

Server Time
21 January 2018 00:26:50 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > That 67 coupe > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visitView posts last 24 hoursView unanswered posts
Forum Index > Mustang Projects

That 67 coupe Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 352, 53, 5459, 60, 61 Next
Nuts
Mustang King

Location: Can someone send me some of that "Clean" coal for my furnace. My wood has frozen..

0 👍 / 0 👎

No Moe, only a red 69 Vert.

My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

I have been pottering around the car over the last month or so. Dash came out again, this time so I could install a new headlight switch. I did this in the hope I could fix the intermittent fuel and other gauges. A couple of weeks ago, the oil pressure gauge started working (most likely as I bought new sender), giving me a glimmer of hope. Fear not, they both were on strike earlier today.

H wanted a nice new shiny fuel filler so purchased that and installed. Can’t say I notice any difference but whatever keeps her happy. In the same order I bought a new electronic alternator regulator and painted that in the enviro booth yesterday and installed this morning. Again, made no difference to the charge gauge or anything else.

My buns
I had noticed that there was a wire trying to escape from the bottom half of the drivers seat- the seat bun infact. This had been bugging me as I knew that to fix it I would have to take the seat out; read get under the car, pop the rubber grommets and use my metre long arms and unbolt them from beneath. Did this and lost about 2kgs in perspiration. Thinking about hiring the garage out as a weight loss studio (38deg C is not fun). Dismantled the seat, removing the back and the tracks to get to the hog ring clips (?). Off to Nut’s I headed.

With hands and a deft touch a gynaecologist would be proud of, Nuts had that errant seat bun wire tired down, out of harms way. Thanks Nuts.

Medic arrived a little while later and he and I gave Nuts a few pointers on how to re-cover a 69 high-back seat. He must have appreciated our sage words, as he left us to it. Don’t worry, Medic is a paramedic and he removed the two hogs rings from my hand with the 9 inch grinder faster that I could say
“Heavens, you missed that spring again Ash old chum.”
On the back of watching us at work, Nuts has undertaken to call his neighbour the upholsterer to finish the job. Oh, nearly forgot, we realised that Ash is a bit squeamish at the sight of blood; arterial blood apparently if the spray pattern is anything to go by. I will leave it to him to tell you where that hog ring went and how he was holding the frame to get it there-weird.

Returned home with my seat bottom and reassembled it back together. Another weight loss session under the car and the seat was back in. Still have intermittent gauges but the seat is great!

Motor is starting to work in nicely. A couple of blasts tells me she will go hard. The gearbox has worn in well and changes nice and smooth; thanks Nuts. The thermo fan unit is keeping the car at around 190deg F and I am getting used to it sitting just below the red. Standard temp gauge still reads backwards. Not sure if I have mentioned but on start-up she sits on H and as she warms up it works it’s way to the centre of the dial. Hotter moves the needle towards the Cooler end of the swing. Anyone with thoughts on this go for it-I’m at a loss.

Have a great Christmas and a safe and merry New Year.

'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'

MustangMedic
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hey Jacko, you know the funniest part yesterday...is the bit where you were trying to install the hog clips at the same time Nuts was, and wheather or not he was going to use the tool on you...every time you moved the seat and he missed. But hey... your right.. the amount of blood that had the potential to be spilt was going make me spew for sure. Have a great Christmas everbody....and we'll come back next year and do it all again.
Cheers,
Medic

Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
97 SN-95 Convertible

mikes68
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Ausjacko wrote
Standard temp gauge still reads backwards. Not sure if I have mentioned but on start-up she sits on H and as she warms up it works it’s way to the centre of the dial. Hotter moves the needle towards the Cooler end of the swing. Anyone with thoughts on this go for it-I’m at a loss.

A well positioned (small) make up mirror would make it appear to move in the right direction... Poke

Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails

Nuts
Mustang King

Location: Can someone send me some of that "Clean" coal for my furnace. My wood has frozen..

0 👍 / 0 👎

Jacko, i'm still thinking your temp gauge wires are back to front. One of the next times you pull the bezel out, swap them over just for fun...

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Nuts wrote
Jacko, i'm still thinking your temp gauge wires are back to front. One of the next times you pull the bezel out, swap them over just for fun...

If its a standard gauge, it dosnt make a difference. They are not polarity sensative, just react to the current flowing through them to heat the "hot wire".

Pinto-Pete
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

nassi wrote
Nuts wrote

If its a standard gauge, it dosnt make a difference. They are not polarity sensative, just react to the current flowing through them to heat the "hot wire".

so.....obviously it getting cooler then.. Poke

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

A quick update.
Big Mc eluded to the rear tail lights not working when he first saw PB drive away after Christmas. Dash out (again), and thought it could not be the switch as this is new. Checked the connections in the boot and this all looked good. JBB asked whether the front parkers were working and they were, hence it is probably not the switch. Swapped the old switch back in, just in case, and it was not the switch. Fog lights on activated the taillights so I knew the connections were fine. Back to the switch.

Had a closer look at the wiring from the fog lights back to the plug-found it! The spade connector from the loom into the multi pin plug had pushed out so that when it was plugged into the switch it was not connecting. Pushed the sucker back in and bingo, taillights. Just copying some music to test the zumba radio fitted this evening. Looks good thus far.

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

‘We are the Champions, we are the Champions, no time for …’
What a sort of great day. Took Pink Bitz to the Canberra Centenary Mustang Show. It was pouring rain at 6.00am (I know this as this is when the first text arrived) but eased by 7.30am. For the next four hours, it was an even tussle as the sun tried to burn the clouds away and the wind tried to cover the sun up.

The good part was that a strong crowd attended to check-out the cars. A pretty discerning crowd they were to as the car won Best Paint and Best Coupe! These results are testament to all the work people have put into this car. Great work everyone, especially Steve, the ‘Colour King’, Kerry, ‘Big Mc’, JBB, the Mexican Crew and anyone else who provided the basis for this car; you should be proud of yourselves.

The ‘sort of’ part of the day came around 11.15am when the heavens opened suddenly and we had torrents of water running down each side of the venue. The PA packed it in and all the helpers were drenched. On the lighter side, the Shannons marquee set a new record for the number of people able to cram under a marquee in the shortest time possible.

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Nuts
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Well done Guy's. Like Must have been the pink bits that swayed the judges! Wink2

IGALOP
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Us Mexicans are pretty rapt in that effort Jacko. It's a good feeling to know all the work put into this project from the beginning, has officially now paid off!

Selling the Mustang story to all those who will listen!
There are many listening in Gippsland.

ACTstanglover
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Congrats Jacko, it was a great day out at the show. Was great to see how excited and thrilled you and Heather were at claiming a couple of trophies, i hope you have somewhere suitable to display them, although i suspect you took them to bed with you last night lol. Hope there are many more trophies to come.
Also, well done on all your organising, the show would not have gone ahead without your involvement. Well done.

chopmgw
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Well done to all who had involvement with this car.
Its been good to watch its progress.
Now, where`s the pics ? Impatient

I smell oranges !

Michael

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Swinging; the correct way
If you are familiar with the car you may recall how the fuel, temp and oil gauges were playing up. The temp read backwards and the oil was a part-time participant and the fuel- well I ran out the other day, indicating it still does not work. I managed to get a couple of them working! I write now, in part as confession to you, seeking your forgiveness for my actions…

On the fuel side of things, I borrowed a new sender from Nuts to test the connection back to the dash. Nuts also suggested I ground-out the tank plug to see if this has any effect on the gauge- should make it swing all the way to full. Went home and tested it and grounding it had the expected effect. Swapped in the new unit and it worked- to a point. With the new sender all the way to full, the gauge only reads three quarters. At least this shows the wire connections are correct- I wish it was always the case as you will read. I will order a new sender and see if this makes any difference. The sender was one of the few parts I took for granted was in working order-silly me.

Now to the oil and temp issues. I cannot remember if I mentioned before how the wires for these gauges, along with the coil power, exits the firewall into the engine bay via a three pin connector. The engine side of this connector is red in both my cars making it easy to see. Unfortunately, the wiring diagrams are not so easy to read and it is not marked red.

Now, the old plug has three wires coming out of it; all brittle, two were black- as in completely - and the other red. Did I mention the wiring diagram, well this is not correct for any plug. I initially thought the wires might have been painted over but no, these were solid black. Using my advanced wiring skills, I muddled my way to what wire went where and soldered extensions on to allow them to meet their respective senders. The astute among you may have already guessed what I did wrong. As I was not using the switched power to the coil, this was ended blind. The other two went to the water and oil respectively and have never worked properly. With time you forget what you did and take it that you did it correctly way back when. It is around now in H’s reading of this that she reminds me that I should have
‘…just bought a new set of wires (her term for the loom) and be done with it’.

Today, I pulled the temp and oil wires out of their sheathing and set-about grounding the connectors to watch the impact on the gauges. Grounded the oil wire and watched as the water gauge maxed out. Thinking I must be nuts (bonkers not the contributor here), I tested it again; sure enough oil wire is connected to the water gauge. Oddly enough grounding the water wire had no impact on the oil gauge for reasons that now make sense. If you are still with me, what I had done was connect the water temp sender to the oil gauge and the oil sender to the water temp gauge. No wonder they never worked correctly! This is the confession part where I seek forgiveness.

In my searching I gather the water and oil senders work in exact opposite to each other. That is, the water starts with a high resistance and as it gets hot the resistance lowers, swinging the gauge to H. The oil operates in opposite, in that it must start with a low resistance and as the oil pressure rises it gains resistance (hence when you ground it out it makes no difference to the gauge). Started the car and yep, oil pressure is smack where it should be and the water temp was creeping up from low. Now for the fuel…

'68 J-code GT Fastback

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Care for a quick trip to Duggo? I am rewiring the top marker lights in a horse float ( goose neck, so a big unit ) & having heaps of issues ( 2 month old wiring jamming in the tubing ). As you are now the wiring guru, I would appreciate your input ...... Poke

Kerry

It is easier to get older than it it is to get wiser

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 352, 53, 5459, 60, 61 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   Husky65 

66STNG 

Nuts 

Dwayne 

gbx78 

hybrid