Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 269
Hits New Yesterday: 21748

Server Time
25 November 2017 00:19:06 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > That 67 coupe > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visitView posts last 24 hoursView unanswered posts
Forum Index > Mustang Projects

That 67 coupe Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 318, 19, 2059, 60, 61 Next
Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

does jammed count as 'in'?

'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

20ish January 2012
Now with pictures…
Headers have arrived along with some really nice looking March pulleys.
The headers are Hooker Super comp part number 6114-iHKR
www.holley.com/data/pr...4-1HKR.jpg

Front suspension is back in using the old rotors so I can get the wheels back on. New bushes fitted to the castor rods.

Starter motor (3 bolt) purchased and test fitted along with torque converter.

This allowed me to test the clearance of the converter and flex plate. Everything spun freely so I was fine.

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

24 January 2012

I mentioned before the power steering pump dismantle. Here is the pump on the bench ready to tap apart.
Notice how I have used a socket and the nut at the rear of the pump to protect the male hose fitting while tapping apart the outer shell.

Nuts gave me the secret of dismantling the pump; use a piece of timber to gently tap around the lip on the outer shell. Gently tap around the rim and she will come apart. The socket and nut prevent the hose coupling from damage.

The outer tin is a reservoir for the fluid and the pump itself sits in it.

Take a note of how the outer shell and pump were aligned prior to tapping apart- you can put it on any way and this will look odd on the car (yes, I made this mistake). If you look closely on the front of the pump you will see a notch- this goes to the top when fitted to the mounting bracket. Use this notch as a reference point to align the filler tube.

Here is how the pump turned out.

Now for that motor…

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

28 January 2012
CAUTION: This post is likely to cause severe envy. C and J code owners (other than those of red fastbacks) may consider a support person while reading this post. Headbanger

The big day has arrived- engine install time! Here is the ‘thing’- a picture of mechanical beauty.

I spent the night before cleaning the gasket goo off the exhaust ports. The goo was used during the dyno and engine run-in.

Here is how they looked:

After a bit of careful scraping (mostly with my nail and steel wool) here is how they came up.

I then test fitted the headers- you never know. Lucky I did this, as one of the bolts had no chance in hell of going it. Onto the work bench and a few belts with a hammer and drift on the tube gave enough clearance to get the bolt in. I also checked to make sure I could access all the bolts- all fine.

I was only able to fit the right side header as the left side was fouling on the frame the engine was bolted to. All bolts went into the header at least. These headers look pretty cool!

To be on the safe side I removed the carby and placed her carefully inside (H still does not understand but is coming to terms with the affliction). I gathered all necessary bolts and bits (confirmed to be all there weeks before) and laid these out.

The big day: A fine Canberra day was ahead.

Prior to the install team arriving, I fitted the flexplate and torque her up with the help of my Uncle from Perth; thanks Bob. I was a bit concerned when a few of the bolts did not line up. I knew they only fitted one way on five bolt flywheels but could it be the same for a six bolt plate- yes it is. I noticed one hole in the plate had a slight mark adjacent to it but could not see this lining up with anything on the end of the crank. Take-out- these things only go on one way. Thread lock applied and bolts torque down nicely.

Fitted the engine leveling device (thanks Nuts) to the engine hoist and bolted her to the motor. I used thick plastic tape to protect the aluminium heads and intake from the lifting chain and bracket. I must say that this device made the job a lot easier than it otherwise would be.

Following instructions, Nuts’ and B&M’s, I poured about a litre of Dexron 3 into the torque converter. We then mounted the converter into the trans, making sure it is pushed all the way- take a few tries to make sure you have it all the way home as it goes it and then goes in again (it will makes sense if you do it).

I had a few discussions in the previous weeks with Mustangers about the best way to install a 390; headers on or off; trans on or off. I had even considered coming up from below but the engine mount rails were too narrow. Bottom line- there is no ‘easy way’. In the end, and with a “Give it a go and see” reassurance from Nuts, it was going to be headers on with trans.

Hoist pumped up and engine frame unbolted. Bob and I then used the hoist to hover the engine near the trans and line both up. Bolted up easily.

Next, we bolted the starter up. Everything is so much easier with the engine levitating in front of you. Then the team started to arrive.
My dad dumped the idea of going down the river and detoured to the shed. The hoist operator had arrived.

Next, Medic arrived in his work car. As usual, this flurou and orange stripped van led to a quick journey downstairs by H to ensure that nothing untoward had occurred. BTW, while lying under the car with the motor being squeezed in, conversation turned to being squashed. Turns out that Medic is trained in crush injuries (was at Granville Train disaster he was telling us) and is handy for engine installs.

We put the car on go-jacks and moved her outside the garage. Placed reference marks on the bonnet hinges (hood for any American readers) and unbolted this.

We then jacked the rear of the car- yes the rear- and placed it on axle stands. This gave us good clearance underneath to see where it would get stuck, but I am getting ahead of myself.

Here is the ‘thing’ ready for insertion:

Gotta love those headers. This love soon dissipated…

And we were away. We placed covers on the frame rails and front radiator support. Bob and Medic guided the motor from each side, Dad used the special hoist creeping tool to move the hoist forward and I drove the ram.

The easy bit was getting the trans snout into the engine bay- that’s where the ‘easy’ finished. Here thing is being lowered and cajoled into it’s new home.

What was once an engine bay I could sit in and work comfortably had instantly become too small. From being able to sit on the chassis rail and ponder where what went where I was now left wondering whether this engine was ever going to fit. Did they send the correct block back?

The team preserved before Moe arrived. I think it was Moe as all I could see was the bottom of two legs from my new vantage point under the car. Moe’s identity was confirmed when he joined me on the floor. I will not bore you with the observations about shorts, nuts, being scared, entering from behind and playing with my nuts. I decided lying under the car was safest. With the headers, as nice as they looked, resting on my chest I asked to see Medic’s crush injury resuscitation quals just in case.

The motor was ‘mostly in’ however the hoist out front was sure to make cornering a little tricky. Those great looking headers were causing a bit of a headache. We were no longer in love. To provide a bit more clearance down low, my new-old office, we removed the steering box- stay with me here it gets better… Remember there was no steering or engine cross member fitted.

With Moe’s assistance, we managed to come to an impasse. The thing, now renamed ‘bloody thing’ was not playing. H arrived with lunch and we decided to adjourn, leaving the now ‘bloody thing’ suspended in the bay. The motor was twisted slightly due to the lift points. This was proving enough to jam it on Medic’s side while being free on Bob’s side.

Oh, forgot to mention the master cylinder was not fitted. I had intended fitting it until I found it was missing a critical bit from the front port. Not sure what it is called but it is the male end of the flare inside where the tube nuts screws and without it is useless. I mention this now as leaving this out gave us a bit more room on Medic’s side- him being the left side aligner.

While the others headed up for lunch, I removed the engine mounts, second guessing myself as to whether I had installed them on the wrong side. The topic over lunch was what side is the ‘right’ side in these cars as one engine mount is stamped with a big R. Such a simple question with no-one prepared to take a stand.

OK, OK, we now know the right side is determined from inside the car looking toward the front. And yes, I had installed them correctly.

About now ‘passion fingers’ Justang and the kids arrived.

Back in the shed and the team was hard at it. We had decided to leave the mounts off, fit the gearbox cross member and use this to determine the front mounting points. Moe headed off to work, leaving the team in what could be described as a ‘bind’. That is, the headers were binding on everything on Medics side. It was as if these headers has little hooks reaching out to grab anything it could on the way into the bay. It must have some sense of it’s life ahead ;-)

With Justang and me under the car, and the rest of the team at their stations, we soldiered on. Jacking the gearbox up slightly and lowering the motor at the same time, while holding our breath and pulling slightly contorted faces, proved sufficient to have her nearly there. Dad, Medic and Bob had achieved what appeared impossible, getting that thing to fit. I am not sure whether it was the sausage rolls, coke or the presence of ‘Passion Fingers’ Justin, but it was in.
We bolted the engine mounts in. These went back in easily enough with a bit of wriggling by Bob and Medic. On close inspection of our work we saw just how tight a fit it is. The front left side header bolt misses by a bees pecker- really. Two tubes look to be touching the shock towers by a coat of paint or just clear- depending on whether the sun was behind a cloud or not.

Here is the team all but done

And here she is in- note the glow of achievement

The Canberra Crew had come through- nearly.

Remember the steering box? Well it was laying on the floor asking to be reinstalled. Medic and I had a go to no avail. Those headers, that I was again not loving, were like spaghetti preventing the box from going in. Thank god the master cylinder was not fitted.

Talk of removing the pitman arm ensured. However, not having a puller prevented this course being followed. I hope I disguised it but I was now sobbing inside- we have emotions to you know! (said for any lady readers-notice earlier I used ‘pecker’ and not ‘dick’ that was for you to)

Medic headed home, comforted by his first big block install.

I was now standing, pondering the steering box issue. Then, while my back was turned, it happened again. Passion Fingers had picked up the steering box and lowered it into position; what Medic and Ausjacko had failed at Justang achieved! After a bit of a false start the box was bolted up and the rag joint reattached.

Here is what we achieved

To finish the job we lowered the car onto the go jacks and pushed her back into the garage. Job done.

The Big Day roll of honour:
Nuts, for the level thingy and direction.
H, for mornos, lunch and drinks through the day.
Bob from Perth, for torquing and guiding the thing on the right side.
Dad, for being the hoist driver
Medic ,for guiding, panel and booster diligence and crush injury comfort
Moe, for sharing the love under the car- enough said.
Justang, Passion Fingers, for touching the right things at the right time and helping make it fit.

I really appreciate everyone’s time and the help today. A great effort fellas!

After the team left I packed up. Despite being a tight fit, it looks great.
10.48pm Pre bedtime check. Motor looks great under garage lights
5.24am next day check (while letting dog out for his wee) thing looks great in pre dawn light.

Excited? You bet!

'68 J-code GT Fastback

jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus

0 👍 / 0 👎

Ausjacko wrote

Here is the ‘thing’ ready for insertion:

that is one BIG engine Thumbs Up

Cheers,
j

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

geat achievement and an excellent write up.
cheers to all. Thumbs Up and have one of these Drink

jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus

0 👍 / 0 👎

Ausjacko wrote
Those great looking headers were causing a bit of a headache. We were no longer in love.

sounds like a marriage Poke

Cheers,
j

jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus

0 👍 / 0 👎

Was a good afternoon Jacko and thankyou for giving us the chance to help you and keep the dream alive of "that Gray Coupe"

thanks H for baby sitting and refreshments.

Cheers,
j

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Thumbs Up Drool beast!!!!! loooks bloody awesome

Foresight
Zebras for hire

0 👍 / 0 👎

I love this thread it is an asset to the forum Thumbs Up

I think you just set the record for the biggest post in mustangtech history!

Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!

IGALOP
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Loving the story Jacko, keep it going.....................Johnno!

Selling the Mustang story to all those who will listen!
There are many listening in Gippsland.

soc123_au
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Well done Ian & H. And of course the rest of the crew. I will no doubt be referring to this page of the thread when the time comes to squeeze my big bastard into the hole.

Also Ian, I think you need to send a few of your posts off to some magazines. I reckon you would get a job a a writer.

Album Link Below.

s608.photobucket.com/p...s_Prestige

Nuts
Mustang King

Location: Can someone send me some of that "Clean" coal for my furnace. My wood has frozen..

0 👍 / 0 👎

So what did Jacko Do? I don't see a pic of him doing anything!!

My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic

jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus

0 👍 / 0 👎

Nuts all i can say is......... Fap

Cheers,
j

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Nuts wrote
So what did Jacko Do? I don't see a pic of him doing anything!!

That position is called- Prayer
I then assumed the position under the car; a position I am most familiar with ;-)

'68 J-code GT Fastback

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 318, 19, 2059, 60, 61 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   hybrid 

66STNG 

Husky65 

Nuts 

krisr