No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 2508
Hits New Yesterday: 20250

Server Time
17 January 2018 02:48:06 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > Fairstang Project > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visit β€’ View posts last 24 hours β€’ View unanswered posts
Forum Index > Mustang Projects

Fairstang Project Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 … 36, 37, 38 Next
scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

”JC074” wrote

Scotty

Im loving this post mate - u need ot get a MOCWA award for it!!!

Anywho.... mate my advice is to get your engineer sorted before paint - so he/she can inspect it - I've been informed by my guy that he needs to see the car 'raw' as a aprt of his assessment!

Rock on dude

JC

Jase , can you msg the contact for your engineer and others you know of, i rang a few that were listed and they are no longer doing it.

Converting Rust to Something Drivable

66 Fastback Fairstang Project www.mustangtech.com.au...art=0.html
67 convertibuild project www.mustangtech.com.au...art=0.html
Thought Collecting Couch www.mustangtech.com.au...=1739.html
Caddy Wacked www.mustangtech.com.au...art=0.html

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

”Kosa” wrote

Dude awesome work, im envious of ur skillz ;_

Kosa , im 43 going on 30 and have been playing with cars off and on for many years , but its only been the last 5 that i have got the shed , all the equipment and a sh..t load of cars to practice on. This is my first full on project and i went to night school to ensure i could do it better . My first car and project was this XT Panel van back around 1986 ish when i was 15 , it got chicken wire and bog untill i pulled it apart again at 18 and got someone else to weld in new sills and floor and then i did a cheap black paint job on it. I was working on a couple of other cars including a FC holden and XM wagon with lots of rust just before i got the stang , but have put them aside for later. The stang has been a life long dream i have to complete.

”tim_morrison82” wrote

Scott, hope you can make it on saturday, i just flipped through this thread again and got excited you are thinking about coming over! got lots to talk about. i want to be able to do most the work myself, so if i can get any info, advice or help from you, i'd be very happy.

Tim , i will try and make it coz i would luv to meet ya and have a yarn about stuff , will see how i go . Cheers Scott

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

21-11-09
Ive been in Hibernation for a few months and all of a sudden got a couple of hits.
Im gonna let the cat out of the bag , ive got a confession, I HATE SUMMER its only good for lazying around and drinking beverages around the pool , which i am also good at .:+ Even thou i come from a good blood aussie background (my great grandad was an explorer), i cant handle the heat in the shed. Anything over 30 and im useless , i have got hold of an evaporative air con , but it is too hot to install on the roof and the humidity from it will end up rusting the mustang anyway. So anyway i do have a couple of pics of deliveries of long awaited parts i have recieved between Xmas and now

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Originally posted by eri67
Scott love the van, very tastefull for the era

Ive still got the bonnet , top tailgate and entire van roof off it sitting on a XR ute wreck , . After alot of searching i found a XW windowless van for $500 about 2years ago to do up one day , needs alot of major surgery beneath the front fenders and lower winscreen/dash area , but with most vans all the floors front to rear are in great cond. Will prob put a 351w i got with the stang in it ;2 I want to be 20yo again ;]

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

”nassi” wrote

If your interested in selling that van let me know.
cheers

Sorry Mate , no way , i always regretted sending my rusted XT to scrap metal , if only i knew then what i know now about rust repair. I sold it to my brother inlaw for his first car then he gave it to me in really poor condition 6 years later . I drove it for a year , then it sat for 5 years untill scrapped. Ill get to it , as well as my XYGS ute i got . I just love Fords and now i got the gear and the nowhow to do them even if it takes the rest of my life. :_

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Hey Scott,

Just read all 8 pages of this post, very very nice mate, wish i had half the workmanship you have got. Looks like i am going to come across many of the same issues, putting an EF Fairmont 5L into my 67. Good reference material, i think i will be rereading this for a long time to come.

Will be good to see you at a MOCWA event sometime.

Stu

Thanks Stu , funny thing is it only took me a couple of months to do the engine , gbox , wiring , brake conversions in the LHD mockup and test drive it around the block a couple of times. Yet im still doing the body a year later and i was just about to update my build tonight.

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Been a couple of months with no progress on the Mustang untill the past few days. My 17 yo daughter needed a decent car so i got hold of a $200 unlic 90 celica , electric sunroof and windows with a blown motor (hole in the block)but a nice body and interior with new tyres , radiator and cv joints I then had to buy another motor but found that the 2.2 motor it had was rarer and alot more expensive , $2200 for a low KM . So i found a donor car $900 for the motor which turned out to be a piece of crap. So then i had to rebuild the bottom end it had a recently recon head PHEW! So i got new rings , bearings , seals etc $320, went to fit the rings and they dont fit the pistons , found out later they only fit the after market pistons , and the genuine rings for that model only , are no longer available and were $265 if i could get them. I got the matching pistons for $165 not to bad. Anyway finally got the engine back in , fitted new seals to powersteering pump and gearbox , i didnt want to pull this pr#ck of a FWD motor out again. Rubbed back and repainted the peeling and faded roof , swapped over a few better parts from the donor car and got it licenced no problem. Wasnt the cheap car with a quick fix i intended , but she turned out nice for around $1700 lic and the daughter loves it.

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

11-2-10
Anyway , enough of these other cars and back to the main subject. Finally got a few days work on the stang and got stuck into replacing the window to boot panel i had sandblasted. It was pitted but not rusted through and clean under the panel looking from the boot space but i just could not live with knowing it was there if i puttied and painted over it.
Melted out the lead in the joins at the top of the rear quarters , drilled out all the spotwelds , removed and cleaned up the boot panel beneath and painted.
Fitting the new panel took a fair bit of measuring and rechecking with the boot fitted to get it to fit. Ended up having to put the old one back on lined up with the drilled welds and make a template . All the curves in the window area made it impossible to get accurate readings with a tape and the panel wasnt the best as far as the pressings go , a little bigger and bends not as sharp . So i had to make sure i could get a boot gap and hopefully the window will still fit ::
Im going to have a go at filling the joins with lead again instead of bog , i have done a small section at the top of the rear pillar that i repaired earlier ok , so see how i go. Otherwise bog it is. Sad

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Well i think ill leave the lead wipe filling to the old timers , bog it is. :[ Battled for a few hours and ended up melting it all out again , really needed to research it more and have the correct stuff not the recycled crap i used. :_

While i was doing the rear panel i also got stuck into the roof. 1st i took it back to metal again as it only had a protection coat . Dolly'd out a few ripples , good coat of spray putty , worked it over with 80 grit large rubbing block, a bit of primer where it went down to metal . Then another light coat of putty , a smaller block with 120 grit and a coat of black primer , good for seeing faults. Finished with a light rub down and a few small spots of spot putty. Smooth as a Brazillian Sad

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

eri67 wrote

Any updates Scott?;2

Sorry mate , i wish there was.
All i have done is cut the Lh side of the firewall out and dummied the NC fairlane aircon unit in there , and cut out the same section of firewall out of the Fairlane and just looking at it to see if i will use it. Proberly Not. I think i will modify the original RH firewall to fit the unit instead.

I have had a bad run as far as Mustang work time goes , my daughter wrote off her AU ute a month ago and i had to sort out insurance quotes and paperwork , get a 83 celica temp loan car going for her, and just of late find a new car for her. She works rediculous hours so i do everything for her , she now has a Black 07 BF XR6 and i am getting custom Pink stripes on it LOL!. Got that sorted and then my other daughter's horse went down with colic for 3 days , and guess who had to stay awake day and night giving it needles and watching over it because my 2 daughters were on holidays in Bali. :_ Its taken all weekend to get my sleep back and I was going to get back into it today (perfect weather), but one thing has lead to another and didnt even get to the shed , now its time to get the kids from school. Hopefully tomorrow , im very eager to get it painted in the next few months while the weather is good.
Cheers!

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

”JC074” posted on 29-3-10 wrote

Scott do you have a build budget by any chance?

Yes $35k all up hopefully , including 19k for the car , im at about 29k and i have most of what i want including the paint and just need wheels ($2500) thinking about electronic guages (400-600) , engineer and rego allowing atleast 2k. Might splash out for a new bigger fuel tank , im gonna practice fitting the fuel pump from the fairlane into the top of the tank , but i do already have a new external pump.

Edit: My wife just said , yeah! i blew the budget when i bought it .....:+

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

”Mac1” posted on 29-3-10 wrote

It's great to see threads like this on the forum. Watching a dream come together.

”JC074” wrote

Awesome mate!

A fully resto'd fastback / rhd + the RRS brakes - shes gonna be a beaut!

All the best

JC

Last edited by scott66stang on Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Well my main computer with all my pics etc has been stuffed for at least a month now , so i havent bothered updating. I have my camera full of pics and i just put some on my crappy laptop so i can update.
I have been attacking the RH conversion , mainly the firewall incorporating the Fairlane pedal box , booster and the huge climate controlled heater box. I had a few goes at both sides of the wall using the fairlane and XY firewalls , pedal boxes and fabbing up my own.
Ended up fabbing the drivers side from 1.6mm steel from the front floor pan level to the cowl lip and changing the pedal floor level aprox 30mm which involves changing the angle of the front rail that supports the pedal wall to match the otherside.
The heater box side is the Fairlane section , but not tall enough so the top was also fabbed up to the cowl lip ,and overlapped welded bothsides to the lower section.
The centre section is part of the drivers floor that i cut out , to give it some lines and to make up a raised section for the heater mounting bolt. I also recessed the tunnel a little where the 4speed auto selector needed more room . Still need to extend the engine bay rear aprons to the firewall and then finish off the dash and wiper swap.
It all makes sense if you see it in person.:+
There is only primer on to prevent rust and to get a look at the shape , i can fill and clean up the welds after an engineer has checked the welds.

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Here is the RRS XY steering colum conversion , pretty straight forward.

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Originally posted by JC074
I love this post!!!

Well done Scotty Smile

Looks like you've gone all out - our resto is literally costing (inc RH conversion) - north of $55K for the '66 vert...and thats with mates rates on a lot of it Smile Mind you...like yours its got all new sheet metal in every place! Smile

Whats the master plan with the engine? Just dropping the fairlane donk in? supercharger? NOS? Smile
Im not one for spending heaps on a motor or having a big fuel guzler even thou im an ex mechanic. The 5.0l efi was in good nic in the fairlane when i was driving it around for 2 years , i will pull the heads new valve stem seals and check things, put in new welsh plugs , pretty it up abit , might put in a mild cam , it has the XR8 computer. As long as it sounds good im happy to just cruise.

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 … 36, 37, 38 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   Husky65 

ozbilt 

Ausjacko