Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 11593
Hits New Yesterday: 17268

Server Time
17 December 2017 17:04:17 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > hybrids 1966 Coupe Project > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visitView posts last 24 hoursView unanswered posts
Forum Index > Mustang Projects

hybrids 1966 Coupe Project Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3147, 148, 149 150 151, 152, 153 Next
hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

It's not too bad really. It's $140/hr if you're going to tune yourself.
I will try and get some video of it.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Gee that's alright....where are you doing that? Looking forward to the write up afterwards

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Ultratune at Blacktown recently put a dyno in.
Can't remember the price if you want them to tune.

But if you tune yourself, $140/hr and they will just operate the dyno.

lukep6470
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Shaunp wrote
hybrid wrote
Yeah - if you're using that method, you obviously don't want a 100+ PSI gauge as it probably won't be accurate enough.
I think I managed to find a 0-35 or 0-50 or something along those lines.

Dad subsequently busted it by leaving it connected while it produced 100PSI.

If you can only find a higher reading gauge, I should be able to dig up my spacer thingy and send it up to you so you can do the 35PSI method. You can just keep it, as I've never used it.
Is it the aftermarket Lokar cable that it came with?
By the way - if the box isn't in the car yet, I would seriously consider putting a non-locking converter in it. It's so much nicer changing into 3rd and 4th. You will know what I mean first time you drive it if it's got a lockup converter in it.
There's also some good youtube vids if you can't picture what I mean with the spacer.

Nah its in the car Ive driven it on off trailers etc, Its supposed to have shift kit etc, it did have sticker on it from some Performance trans place in the US, and yes I think its a Lokar cable.

Yes if it has a shift kit you adjust the cable to what shifts you want as the pressure adjustment won't be correct any more.

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

lukep6470 wrote
Shaunp wrote
hybrid wrote
Yeah - if you're using that method, you obviously don't want a 100+ PSI gauge as it probably won't be accurate enough.
I think I managed to find a 0-35 or 0-50 or something along those lines.

Dad subsequently busted it by leaving it connected while it produced 100PSI.

If you can only find a higher reading gauge, I should be able to dig up my spacer thingy and send it up to you so you can do the 35PSI method. You can just keep it, as I've never used it.
Is it the aftermarket Lokar cable that it came with?
By the way - if the box isn't in the car yet, I would seriously consider putting a non-locking converter in it. It's so much nicer changing into 3rd and 4th. You will know what I mean first time you drive it if it's got a lockup converter in it.
There's also some good youtube vids if you can't picture what I mean with the spacer.

Nah its in the car Ive driven it on off trailers etc, Its supposed to have shift kit etc, it did have sticker on it from some Performance trans place in the US, and yes I think its a Lokar cable.

Yes if it has a shift kit you adjust the cable to what shifts you want as the pressure adjustment won't be correct any more.

Only if it has been converted to constant pressure.
If it hasn't, then the most important thing is getting enough pressure to the clutches so they don't burn up. You can still adjust it to slightly change the shifts, but the minimum pressure still needs to be right.

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

got to find a cheap gauge first

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Today was dyno day. Mixed emotions as I will explain below.
The car made good power (thanks meth), but the gearbox is still not right.

We disconnected the meth to start with and tuned the regular table. We gained some good power just by pulling fuel as it was pretty fat everywhere.
How ever, we did see intake temps of almost 80 degrees. Can't remember what the max power was - somewhere around 263 I think, but the gearbox seemed to be slipping at anything above about 260kw.

We decided to get into the meth anyway and just see what we could tweak up until that point. To my surprise, it held up towards 270kw and seemed like RPM had something to do with it too. AFRs with meth were down around 10:1, so we took a fair bit of fuel out of it and gained good power from this without touching timing. Once the AFR's were good, we threw a couple of degrees at it - I think this would have been around 23 degrees. Power up again.

We ended up adding 5 degrees timing and it was still gaining power, so could probably take some more yet, but there was no use doing too much more with a 5500 rev limit.

The graphs below were the last ones before we decided enough is enough on my poor gearbox.
This first one shows torque and boost. We hit 10psi before we backed out. So it might push that to 12psi if we get to 6500 later.
You can also see torque is still climbing, so there's still more in it. 500ft/lbs from 4400 onwards.. and around 540nm before the limiter kicks in. Nice and flat.

This second pic is power and AFR. AFR's are still nice and safe at around 12:1.
Power is still increasing when it hits the rev limiter.

So overall I'm happy. Still potential in it, but I'm happy as it is. So now the plan is probably to build another box on the side as cash/time permits. I will use the 4R70W parts in this one. Not sure I actually need them because I don't know why this is slipping yet. Starting to think I might have nicked an o-ring in the direct drive piston when installing. But just guessing.

Here's a couple of videos. First one you can hear the gearbox slip. I had warned the guy it might happen, so he was onto it right away.

This is one of the 300kw+ runs. You can see it hit our hard limit at the end.

After the first few runs I wasn't nervous about it any more. Confirmed the box is no good, but the engine took it in it's stride.

Thanks to krisr for coming to man the laptop for me.
Oh forgot to mention - intake temps with the meth were below 40 and seemed to keep dropping as I saw at the track. So it's dropping 40 degrees out of it.

Last edited by hybrid on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:06 pm; edited 4 times in total

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Great results(gearbox aside). 400rwhp is nothing to sneeze at, doing it easy too. I'd like to see what it pulled at 6-6.5k rpm, but that's for another time.
That is a great results on the meth too, 40dg c drop, awesome!!

Nuts
Mustang King

Location: Can someone send me some of that "Clean" coal for my furnace. My wood has frozen..

0 👍 / 0 👎

Nice numbers Hybrid.

My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic

lukep6470
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

4R70W with Megashift time?

Excellent numbers!! What wideband are you using? How close was it to the dyno's sensor?

krisr
Junior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Dyno WB was bang on with his Innovate but the Innovate was a bit more jumpy in the logs I think because of the sample rate of the megasquirt over bluetooth. As I said to Jeff, paper napkin math puts this car at about 11.2-11.3 ET's at about 120-122mph if he can get it out of the hole cleanly. Awesome cruiser with aircon!

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Nah 4R70W parts in the AOD shell I think.
But that's not really the issue. Nothing is broken, it's not a parts strength thing which is what the 4R70W fixes (as well as better gearing), it's just slipping. It's alread been upgraded with 7 or 8 forward clutches etc.
So even a rebuild of this one would probably sort it, but I don't want it off the road or to spend a bunch of money right now. It will be fine on the street. Just no track until it's fixed.

Wideband is Innovate LC1 at the moment.

Last edited by hybrid on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

T56 magnum......oops, that just slipped out

krisr
Junior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hahaha don't worry, we told him today that a turbo 400 would cure all of his issues!

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

krisr wrote
Hahaha don't worry, we told him today that a turbo 400 would cure all of his issues!

You do have a nasty streak... Like

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3147, 148, 149 150 151, 152, 153 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   rkmiller73 

66STNG 

Husky65 

Nuts 

cage 

StephenSLR 

ComingEvents