Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 1189
Hits New Yesterday: 17225

Server Time
17 December 2017 01:35:46 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > Project Pheonix > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visit • View posts last 24 hours • View unanswered posts
Forum Index > Mustang Projects

Project Pheonix Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 … 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 24
Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Pm aren't working so I'll put it here.

I know with the EF/EL, the speedo goes to the instrument cluster first, then to the ecu. I'm assuming it's probably similar with the AU. I didn't do that wiring myself on my loom, however, I believe the instrument cluster applies also applies the voltage to the power wire of the sensor.

The sender has has 3 wires, power, ground and signal I believe the guy who did my loom just gave the power wire 12v off ignition. The signal wire comes straight back to a plug I added under the dash near the ecu. From that plug, that wire splits into two, with one going to the speedo, and one going to the ecu. I had to add a 10k pullup resistor to the signal wire at the speedo though, as the signal was quite weak(i am pretty sure the stock cluster does this also before it goes to the ecu), and my speedo wouldn't recognize the pulses until i added the pullup resistor.

I actually have my speedo input to the ecu disconnected, as I found that it would hold the rpm's for a second or two when I came to a stop or clutch in, which I didn't like. With it disconnected that went away. You need it connected with your auto box though.

What speedo are you using?

Last edited by Husky65 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

66STNG
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Might through this out to the crowd.
Ok, the speed sensor does have 3 wires and conects up to the main harness and then goes to the ecu, there is a white wire from pin 58 which says vehicle speed sensor but it's an input so it can't just go to the speedo. The AU may be different in that you don't need the body module to run the transmission??

There is a clean tachometer output of the ecu which I assume goes straight to the tacho, but I can't figure how the speedo gets its signal.
If anyone wants to chime in it would be a help, as husky has explained it but I'm still not sure how to actually wire the speedo up...
Cheers

66 basket case

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Husky65 wrote

I know with the EF/EL, the speedo goes to the instrument cluster first, then to the ecu. I'm assuming it's probably similar with the AU. I didn't do that wiring myself on my loom, however, I believe the instrument cluster applies also applies the voltage to the power wire of the sensor.

The sender has has 3 wires, power, ground and signal I believe the guy who did my loom just gave the power wire 12v off ignition. The signal wire comes straight back to a plug I added under the dash near the ecu. From that plug, that wire splits into two, with one going to the speedo, and one going to the ecu. I had to add a 10k pullup resistor to the signal wire at the speedo though, as the signal was quite weak(i am pretty sure the stock cluster does this also before it goes to the ecu), and my speedo wouldn't recognize the pulses until i added the pullup resistor.

I actually have my speedo input to the ecu disconnected, as I found that it would hold the rpm's for a second or two when I came to a stop or clutch in, which I didn't like. With it disconnected that went away. You need it connected with your auto box though.

Why do you say PM's aren't working?
Are you getting some error message?

See this:
www.mustangtech.com.au...=4279.html

Last edited by hybrid on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

hybrid wrote
Husky65 wrote

Why do you say PM's aren't working?
Are you getting some error message?

See this:
www.mustangtech.com.au...=4279.html

My bad I saw it was sitting in my outbox, thought it wouldn't send. That link cleared it up for me Smile

66STNG
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

C' mon where are the techo guys out there. Need some advice wiring diagram to wire my electronic gauges. Using the stock ecu and stock senders. Ford workshop manuals are useless.

66 basket case

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

There is not much info on the australian eec's, even on the net, so it's pretty hard.

The speedo sensor has 3 wires, being voltage in, ground, and signal out.
I am just not sure of the voltage in is 12v or 5v. It is normally supplied by the dash cluster. If you ask Pete at Petes custom wiring he should know as he did mine.

Or, if you gauge has a programmable speedo input, just get a gps speedo sender and be done with it.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Actually ignore the last about the gps sender, you are running an auto ecu, which needs the correct speedo signal input.

Do you love old ford tech Poop Hit Fan

66STNG
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

I belled some wires out today and found that they don't go from the speed sensor to the ecu, they go to another connection that would have gone to the dash cluster. But it still doesn't help me because I'm not sure what voltage to put on it, if it requires another driver or some resistance. I really need a detailed wiring diagram.

66 basket case

66STNG
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Quick up date.
Old seat risers out new ones in, gives me another 2" to lower the seats.

Completed, and seam sealeed

66 basket case

Last edited by 66STNG on Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

66STNG
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Finally soughted the dash cluster,
Electronic, programable speedo. The red button is to toggle between trip settings, alarm speeds ect, not sure whether to drill a hole in the bezel or hide the button. The three wires are for the speed sensor,

66 basket case

Nuts
Mustang King

Location: Can someone send me some of that "Clean" coal for my furnace. My wood has frozen..

0 👍 / 0 👎

Nice Work!

My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 … 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 24

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   Husky65 

ozbilt 

cage 

rkmiller73 

nassi 

scedd 

ComingEvents