so where to begin ...
i lost some pics along the way and ill likely end up showing more pics and writing less, but will try and answer questions along the way. They just won't always be good answers.
i always wanted a fastback since the mid 80's as an apprentice, and i finally was able to start the hunt.
My other cars are a 67 coupe with 5.0 crate motor and paxton blower, manualised C4 , 9" truetrac that runs a best of 11.52, but needs tweeking for better times and a 28 model A roadster hotrod project(on hold whilst building Fb) and a 31 Model A pickup that hasn't begun.
I prefer to have modded cars, so began looking for a less complete car knowing that a lot of stuff would be discarded. I think it was late 2011 when i found something suitable without much rust.
Decisions were made on what I would do thats a bit different . First thoughts were around a twin paxton blown windsor. Next thought was old school 6/71 blown windsor, but chickened out having it sticking out of the bonnet so much and considers issues about that with rego. However after looking at some of the cars at the time in the US, i decided on a 2003 DOHC supercharged motor like in a 03/04 mustang cobra.
I decided to keep car LH drive early on.
I Found a new Crate motor on sale from Eagle and got that sent up from victoria.
Other choices during the planning were: TCP g-link 4 link rear setup, chassis subframe connectors and cross brace, torque boxes,TCI mustang II front end and tower removal , 4 wheel wilwood disc setup with remote boosters, wilwood pedal setup and individual master cylinders, Ididit column and rack and pinion steering,custom 9" diff with strange centre & detroit locker and 35 spline axles. Other things done are Tremec TKO 500,Ron Francis wiring kit for the engine, 18 x 7 simmons, 3" tailshaft, subaru alloy radiator and twin fans, autometer gauges and twin 2.5" exhaust. front seats from a subaru BRZ and custom leather interior.
I think that covers most of it.
Years into the project at the paint stage a colour was finally settled on- wont tell you what it is yet other than its off an Aston Martin.
so after stripping the car down, i began with the installation of the complete TCI front end kit which included sway bar and rack and pinion steering and brakes.
It was a well put together kit and quite easy to install with good instructions.
They use existing holes in the chassis to assist in locating all the positions prior to welding.
There are also strengthening plates for the chassis as part of the whole assembly.
Lots of measuring and checking during the mock up before tack welding and checking again.
Remember the old saying "measure twice weld once"
Finally performed all the welding and cleaned up and put some undercoat to keep it good during the long build.
The only bad thing i found with the kit was the panels they supply to bolt in where the tower were.... they just plain didn't fit, so i eventually made my own ones.
Next instalment - putting the front end together, followed by the rear suspension.
The one item that concerns me (engineering back ground) is the forces being applied to the tubing used as mount points - there is quite a lever due to the distance to the cross member. I would like that beefed up a little. I am maybe (likely) wrong but I am not convinced it is strong enough. I would add support to them to reduce flexing - maybe unnecessary.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Last edited by boofhead on Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:43 am; edited 2 times in total
The logos and trademarks used on this site are the property of their respective owners.
We are not responsible for comments, advice, opinions, products or services posted by our members, as they are the property of the poster.