Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 5566
Hits New Yesterday: 18630

Server Time
24 November 2017 05:38:04 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > Finally - the Bullitt begins! :-) > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visit β€’ View posts last 24 hours β€’ View unanswered posts
Forum Index > Mustang Projects

Finally - the Bullitt begins! :-) Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 … 6, 7, 8 … 11, 12, 13 Next
mungus
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

So I promised I'd post up the finished brake booster & MC when the new MC finally arrived. So I unpacked another CJ's order today, then did that part this afternoon. Measured up the push-rod vs. piston depth before painting, assembly and touching up etc. SA brakes didn't fit the wee foam filter that goes at the lower edge of the boosters shaft hole when they rebuilt it for me. Grrrrr! They weren't cheap either and I sure as hell don't want to pay $2-300 USD for a complete kit off eBay just for that little bit of foam. So I'm going to cut some thin foam to shape.

From what I've read and seen on concourse forums this should be pretty much correct. The cap sticker is the only thing I'm not 100% on, as it may be for 67, and not 67 & 68. But its the only type available for that period. The MC is basically an OEM replica although the keen eyed may note the stop bolt has a different head to OEM and that the casting numbers on the underside are a little different. Regardless its far closer than the garden variety MC's out there. I'm going to restore an OEM MC for posterity at some stage, but for regular use this one will do me fine.

Nice to have another major component done.

Grumpy old git!

Last edited by mungus on Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:16 am; edited 5 times in total

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

The M/C lid should have the letters raised AFAIK, but that is as close as you will get (unless I have one here .... πŸ˜„ )

Kerry

It is easier to get older than it it is to get wiser

mungus
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

While I was in the mood I finished off the steering column with a couple of small parts from the same order. New indicator stalk, bearings etc. Stripped, 2K'd and pre-assembled it a few months back. Also upgraded it by adding the sleeved bearing kit from Mustang Steves (US). Feels much better than having the lower end of the shaft flopping around and nice to tighten things up with the Borgeson on the end of it. It also involves trimming a bit off the end of the outer tube, which aids in fitting it to the Borgeson box I'm told.

The steering wheel I eventually got was an original 67' FIV Secura (same as the movie cars), which I have yet to restore (wood is split and it will then need covering in stitched black leather). That's another project to be done one day when I feel enthusiastic. I searched for months to find mine on craigslist in Oregon. Then a year later SD started selling replica wheels for $360 USD! Grrrrrr. Although they are not real FIV's nor marked as such, so clued up aficionados will be able to tell mines for real. Some might think who cares, but to me one of the most obvious clues to a poor Bullitt replica is having the wrong steering wheel staring you in the face. Especially when they use some cheapie - YUK!
Genuine Shelby type FIV Secura's can fetch $2-3K USD when complete and restored. So as a result nothing for them goes cheap. Just a new centre & horn push (from Branda's) cost me a couple of hundred...

Grumpy old git!

Last edited by mungus on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:21 am; edited 2 times in total

mungus
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

ozbilt wrote
The M/C lid should have the letters raised AFAIK, but that is as close as you will get (unless I have one here .... πŸ˜„ )

New offerings wise maybe you're correct Kerry.

I had to buy another cap as these replica MC's come with the 69/70' caps where all the letters are significantly raised, which according to Marcus Anghel's article, is wrong. He says mine should be flat. I'll post it later.

I'll pay more attention to nailing all those issues when I build up my "posterity" MC to go on the shelf. Bob Gaines and I were PMing each other about this some months back. He has some cores for sale from memory. But still no caps...
I have an old one I saved somewhere but not sure if its lettering is exactly right either.

Grumpy old git!

Last edited by mungus on Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:46 am; edited 2 times in total

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Just checked, do not have a raised one ....... Neutral

Kerry

rkmiller73
Senior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Looks great!

mungus
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Here it is...

So theoretically my cap is correct. No raised MC cap letters in 68'. A quick web search revealed some tatty originals from 68' that agree with Marcus's assertions. So barring me winning lotto and starting a 69' FB "John Wick" project, I've got a brand new reproduction raised letters 69-72' cap going spare, if anyone wants it.

Grumpy old git!

Last edited by mungus on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:47 am; edited 4 times in total

mungus
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

rkmiller73 wrote
Looks great!

Thanks.

Grumpy old git!

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

From memory the Bullit movie would have been filmed early 68? If so a very early 68 car?

Maybe I am confusing The Italian Job as that was a similar time (too lazy to look it up ..... Embarrassed )

Kerry

rkmiller73
Senior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Italian job on google says 1969
Bullet OCT 17, 1968

So were the master cylinders and caps originally painted black like the vacuum booster?

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

rkmiller73 wrote
Italian job on google says 1969
Bullet OCT 17, 1968

So were the master cylinders and caps originally painted black like the vacuum booster?

Thanks for that. So that would mean filming commenced up to 12 months prior Shrug

AFAIK the master/booster assy was all black (as supplied by the vendor). Interesting that zinc dichromate was used in 67 & only zinc was used in 68. Possibly to save money as the dichromate is the second operation after the white zinc process. Another interesting tidbit is that paint sticks well to zinc dichromate (the yellow or gold colour to us) but does not stick to zinc (silver colour to us). That actually shows up in the chart pictured earlier as the black is in decent condition yet the 68 cap has little paint left.

I get all my parts, that later need paint, plated zinc dichromate. So I guess any 68 & later caps, I have, are now wrong ..... Read the Manual

Kerry

nassi
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

ozbilt wrote

I get all my parts, that later need paint, plated zinc dichromate. So I guess any 68 & later caps, I have, are now wrong ..... Read the Manual

And on 1 hand you can probably all the people in this country who know that. rotfl
You will not need all those fingers if you only count judges.

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Are 68 interiors painted black or charcoal metallic? I know 67s are charcoal but I did mine satin black 2k. I dont get the need for the bearing? the box holds the shaft, In fact It use the play to raise the wheel higher by pushing the outer down at the bottom.

Last edited by Shaunp on Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

mungus
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Both Bullitt cars were made in January 68 in San Jose. So mid life "68" builds I guess you'd say.

Maybe all Marcus is saying is that the zinc etc was just how the caps were finished by the manufacturer, but not necessarily saying that they were left that way. Ie they could still have been painted once assembled?

Most concourse type threads I've seen say 68's had the whole booster / MC unit painted satin black after assembly, and I've seen a few photos of crusty original units, and they were all painted black. I'm obviously no expert but as far as I know they all were.

Grumpy old git!

Last edited by mungus on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:39 pm; edited 3 times in total

mungus
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Shaunp wrote
Are 68 interiors painted black or charcoal metallic? I know 67s are charcoal but I did mine satin black 2k. I dont get the need for the bearing? the box holds the shaft, In fact It use the play to raise the wheel higher by pushing the outer down at the bottom.

Several Borgeson install threads elsewhere mentioned that sometimes you need to trim some tube off the bottom of the column to get a nice fit, and that this buggers the OEM plastic bush system.
They mentioned the Mustang Steve bearing kit as a solution, and I must admit I didn't like the shaft being supported by the feeble little bearing atop the column. I do like this bearing set up. Very smooth and solid, and it feels well supported now. True that once bolted up to the rag joint the bottom end is centred, but I do like this better than the OEM system. The whole thing just feels solid now, and personally I like the looks of it too.

Into the steering wheel now...

Grumpy old git!

Last edited by mungus on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 … 6, 7, 8 … 11, 12, 13 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   hybrid 

smh00n 

Husky65 

LatestForumPosts
Last 10 Forum Messages