well .. its been 1 year since my last update and well hybrid has motivated me to start one of my new years resolutions.. to tinker more with my car
not as fancy as hybrid's or cages updates.
I wasnt happy with the standard switches for my engine/trans oil temp, manual cooling fan, USB charging and the PIAA switch lights. so i decided to go modern and get some rocker switches to fill in the hole above my gauges (console will be redone this year but leaving it for the moment). The engine and trans oil switch I had custom laser etched and the rest were from our good friends in china as they were standard.
Pretty happy with the result. I had the engine/ trans oil switch configured to match the oil colour.. so RED light for Trans and because brown or yellow would look crap so i just left it as green. Came out really well. This switches between the 2 sensors (engine and trans oil) and outputs to the 1 autometer dash gauge
Lights i kept Blue (was going to go white LED but blue was cheaper and easier to source, the LEDS colours can be changed anyway).
Cooling fan i made green (green coolant).
They all work really well and is much cleaner setup than before.
Also clocked my SC so the volute is inline with my throttle body thus giving me room down the fender side to run my 4" pipe and out the front for cold air.
Ill update with pics later.
So while i had the supercharger out and most of the brackets and pulleys i decided to change out the steeda V1 air pump delete pulley with the steeda V2 double bearing one i bought a while back. Much better unit than the original one there and the new design fixes the issues the first version encountered in supercharger applications)
old one :
New one :
Didnt take a pic with it installed. Nothing exciting there.
Now that alot of that hairdryer crap is out of the way i checked for pulley misalignment as i was having some serpentine belt squeal and slip (sometimes not always). I could tell my alt pulley wasnt aligned and when i changed to a 200amp powermaster alt (its a big sucker) a while back the problem became more apparent (more belt squeal) and bits of belt shavings on the pulley.
I bought a Gates laser alignment tool a while back, to check my alignments and surely enough i was a whole rib and a half out. There is a chart for tolerances over distance and it was on the edge of ok. The alt sat too far out and had a slight tilt (wasnt square to the bracket) and i think this is where the issue was.. It was easier to modify the alt than stuff around with pulling the bracket off the engine. I just wizz'd off 1/16" so i could shim the alt back and now the pulleys are aligned perfectly (checked using the alignment tool).
Yet to test if this has made a positive difference (or negative for that matter). Once Im happy its all good Ill change my belt to the gatorback one i have.
While i was at it .. put the SC back on and checked for its alignment and it was perfect.
Here is the tool installed on the reference pulley:
SC pulley: (second rib in is the reference point = spot on)
So anyway .. day 1 of 2017 seems to be positive so far. I just need a bigger garage, i keep losing tools even though i JUST used it.!
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid
'You can never have too many gauges' -
Last edited by gbx78 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Excellent stuff. I love seeing updates. They are never done and making changes is half the fun of these cars (in my view).
1) The custom switch is very trick - laser etched - very cool. All together fantastic update. I know how much you love wiring.
2) SC changes is a good step forward. Alignment of the alt is good work. Neat tool.
Keep posting - I want to see your cold air intake conversion done as well.
The logos and trademarks used on this site are the property of their respective owners.
We are not responsible for comments, advice, opinions, products or services posted by our members, as they are the property of the poster.